Sunday, October 31, 2010

Selective hearing is prominent even at 4 years old

Just about an hour before bath time every night, my two little ones shed their layers of clothing to run around totally buck naked. They love to feel the wind whipping through their unmentionable places. A total transformation takes place once the underwear comes off. Thy act like they've just been given a new lease on life - running around, chasing each other and acting all giddy.

Well, just after the "nudey" hour started Friday night, Seth was running around the love seat over and over and over. Toys were scattered everywhere and I had had enough of it so I told him to stop running. He chose to continue running and I started counting the rounds out loud "okay, that's one time you've gone around after I told you not to... that's two times... if you do one more, that's three strikes which means a pop" (that means the wooden spoon and he knows it). Well, guess what. He looked at me and listened as I got to number three. Dad got the spoon. Now remember, Seth has absolutely nothing on. After about 15 seconds of struggle and him giggling, "whack!" - one good pop on his butt. He ran off like a scalded dog, hollering and crying, grabbing his butt and wishing he had a bucket of cold water to jump in to put that fire out. Don't get me wrong, I know it hurt. He was truly in pain. But he knows what the countdown is and as much warning as you give him, he continues to push the limits. The only thing we can do is follow through with the end result stated so he knows we're serious and not push-overs, right?

Here's where the funny part starts.

He got mad and sassy. He gets this way quite often. But this time I played along. He tells us, "I'm going to Nana & Papa's!!" I replied, "Go ahead. You may want to take your blankies and just sleep with them tonight."

"Well I'm going over there RIGHT NOW!"
"Okay, see ya later."

Remember, he's naked. He proceeds to put on his shoes and warns us again that he's going over there. Again, I encouraged him to go. He walked out the door in his birthday suit and me and Allen just burst into laughter. We ran to the front window like school children watching a school mate walk into a trap we had just set. He was still standing on our front steps. My guess is that he was hoping we'd open the door and tell him to get back inside. That didn't happen. A few seconds later, he started on his journey, with the outside pole lights shining on him. We stared as we laughed, and waited for the door to open at Nana & Papa's house. Allen said, "I wonder what they're gonna say to him when he gets there." Abbey said, "They gonna say 'boo-hoo!'"

We laughed and laughed and laughed at her!

A few minutes later, the door opened again and I saw Papa's head coming out. Being the school children we are, we giggled and ran back to our places - he in the computer chair and me in my rocking chair. Papa walked in holding him and said Seth had told him Daddy popped him and he didn't know why. Go figure!!!

No comments: