Monday, March 21, 2011

time for a change

I've struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I'm not one to always be on a diet. I'd rather eat what I want... and that's not good. Sweets are of the Devil and I'm one that can't resist them. Unless you're talking about anytyhing containing coconut, gooey sweets with nuts embedded or carrot cake. I'm just not a fan of those. But chocolate - anything with chocolate - I'm in. Way over my head.

Two weeks ago I decided to join Weight Watchers for the 2nd time in my life. Yes, I did it. The first step is the hardest, right? Not really, that was just a few clicks of the mouse. What followed after THE decision was not easy but very thrilling for me.

I had made up my mind that I wanted to get serious about dropping some of this weight so I had to make lots of eating habit changes - and quick-like. I was on the plan back in 2003 and by the time I met my then-future-husband in April 2004, I had just lost 30 pounds and was at my goal weight and happy with it. Well, the courtship started and the pounds slowly crept back on. Then life happened. A baby was delivered via c-section (August 2006)... then a gall bladder was delivered via laparoscopic surgery (August 2007)... then another baby was delivered via c-section (May 2008)... then a uterus was delivered via laparoscopic surgery (January 2011). You get the pattern here? All abdominal surgeries - bam, bam, bam, bam!

~ Insert thought bubble ~ I don't mind being "fluffy", but I'd like everything to be evenly distributed please! This spare tire around my waist was getting more prominent and I am not thrilled about that!

I've been walking for exercise, counting points and re-creating recipes on their cool website so I am aware of what I'm eating and how much it costs me. My new saying is I have to know where I've been to know where I'm headed. That applies in many aspects of life, but also right down to the root of my eating habits. Deprivation is not the key... I still partake of some things that I want/crave. But I have also changed so many other things that I eat during the course of a typical day, that I just don't worry about eating 2 Snackwell cookies dipped in melted milk chocolate. Or sampling my homemade cream cheese icing.

Another good thing that's come from this already is the fact that Allen is also eating some of these "good fer ya" foods - and liking them! This trickle-down effect will make both of us feel better. Heck, even the kids were stealing my Wasa crackers (1 pt. for 3 of them!) and my Weight Watcher ice cream bars!

So here I am on Week 2's weigh-in date and I'm down a total of 3.5 lbs! It's not a huge number, but it's going in the right direction. Itty bitty steps... eventually I'll get there. My first goal is to lose 10 pounds. Then I'll keep setting small goals to keep my focus. My ultimate goal is to lose 34.5 pounds. That will be 10 pounds less than I ended up before on Weight Watchers. Keep checking back (I'll update more often, I promise!) to see what's going on! 'Til then, I'm off to track my points and shed some fat layers!

No comments: