Monday, August 23, 2010

My grown-up boy


Well, today was the day. Seth woke up at 6:15 - I guess excited about school. I made him go back to sleep for a while, then tried waking him at 8:00. After several times, he finally got up and got his clothes changed. I was very sick today, so in addition to being sappy about his big day, I was weepy just because I was hurting all over. We took Abbey next door and headed out around 8:40. After signing him in, we went through the doors to his classroom. All the VPK kids were in the same room for Ms. Renorda's class, along with most of the parents who had stuck around to watch their kids for a bit before leaving. We stood in the doorway of the room for a few minutes, mainly because it was jam-packed with people. After it cleared out, he anxiously asked "Mama, can I go in and play?" Oh, man... he was more ready than I was. I said "sure" and he headed in there to play with the kids. I stayed and watched for a few minutes, feeling the emotions welling up inside me. My baby isn't a baby anymore. He's a grown-up 4-year old in Pre-K. When I was on the way out, I caught his eye and waved to him. "I love you and I'll pick you up later today, okay?"... "Okay, mom!"

No comments: